Small business owners will soon have their hands full with holiday preparations, employee vacation requests, and all of the key details that need to be in place as you head into the holiday season. It is also a critical time of year to have a solid social media presence, so take some time now to prepare your November strategy.
November and December tend to be far more competitive for paid advertising on social media, as you will be bidding for clicks against major retailers with deep pockets. That being said, it's essential that you maximize your organic(non-paid) reach. Below I have listed some of the ideas that Social Kitchen draws inspiration from for increasing reach organically in the month of November. Experience tells us that these items will likely be "trending" on social media this month. This means that by incorporating these into your November content calendar, you will increase reach, impressions, and engagement.
- Nov 1: Stress Awareness Day
How To Use:
Be creative! How can your services reduce stress for a client or potential customer?
Tip: Hashtags can now be used on all social media channels (Yes, even Pinterest and Facebook), though the number of hashtags you should use on each will vary.
- Nov 3: Love Your Lawyer Day
How To Use:
Tag your lawyer or an attorney that you recommend to customers.
- Nov 4: Common Sense Day
- Nov 6: Nachos Day
How To Use:
If you own a restaurant, a daily special. If not, tag a favorite local restaurant for Nachos or share a great recipe.
- Nov 9: Chaos Never Dies Day
- Nov 10: Sesame Street Day
- Nov 12: World Quality Day
- Nov 13: World Kindness Day
- Nov 14th: Loosen Up, Lighten Up Day
- Nov 14th: Guacamole Day
- Nov 15th: Philanthropy Day
- Nov 16th: Beaujolais Nouveau Day
- Nov 17: Take A Hike Day
- Nov 17: Homemade Bread Day
- Nov 18: Housing Day
- Nov 19: International Men's Day
- Nov 20: Universal Children's Day
- Nov 21: Entrepreneurs' Day
- Nov 22: Go For A Ride Day
- Nov 23: Thanksgiving
- Nov 24: Black Friday
- Nov 25: Small Business Saturday (#ShopSmall)
- Nov 27: Cyber Monday
- Nov 28: Giving Tuesday
- Nov 30: Computer Security Day
• Push website gift certificate sales for holiday gifts
• Push Holiday reservations
• Begin to promote a holiday contest, ex. "12 Days of Holiday Giveaways"
• Giving Back. 'Tis the season! Tell the story of your philanthropic efforts. Turkey Drive? Toys For Tots? Social media is the place to encourage community involvement
• Hiring for the holidays? Take advantage of Facebook's new jobs feature.
• Employee holiday events. Be sure to share photos of all the fun!
• What are you thankful for?
• Share/Tag favorite local businesses to support during the holidays
• Holiday parade in town? Share a reminder. Post photos.
I've included a few examples of how these ideas could be used, but you'll need to be creative and make them work for your unique business. These are just a few of the more popular events for social media, research a little further to find more that may be better suited for your business.
Pull out your November content calendar now, and simply jot down an idea for each day or week for your social media posts. Coming up with the idea is half the battle—do this today and November will go smoothly!